Image Map

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Fall Treats

Today is a coworkers birthday and for her office party she requested anything cinnamon or pumpkin for her dessert.  I was more than happy to oblige, I love a good excuse to try new recipes!  I made 3 desserts- 2 are "semi homemade" (did anyone else love that show?) and 1 from a box, I'm not going to focus on that one.

The first recipe I found here and I tweaked it ever so slightly!  Really I didn't change it, I just added to it!
The second recipe I found here and changed it a lot!

Are you ready?  Here we go!

Recipe 1- Chocolate Pumpkin cupcakes

Ingredient list:
Cupcakes- Devils food cake mix and 1 can of pumpkin puree

Frosting-
3 sticks unsalted butter
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 pound bag powdered sugar.

Step 1- made the cupcake batter.  It's the most simple cupcake mix EVER.  Blend the cake mix and the pumpkin puree.  Boom!  Done!  It will look thick and yummy, almost like brownie mix!


Step 2- Bake Cupcakes.  I had these adorable cupcake liners that I got at Wal-Mart for a DOLLAR and used an ice cream scoop to fill the baking pan.  Bake for 25-30 minutes on 350, I left mine in for 27 minutes and they were perfection!



Step 3- While they're baking make the frosting!  Melt of 2 of the sticks of butter, once melted continue to heat, swirling it in the pan until it's a golden brown color and has an amazing nutty smell.  Set aside and let cool til room temperature (I'm not gonna lie, I only let it cool about 10 minutes, I'm sorry I don't have time to sit around letting things cool.)  Once cool, blend the other stick of butter until creamy, then add in the melted butter.  After they're combined, add in the brown sugar until smooth.  Next add in the pumpkin puree and cinnamon, I didn't put nutmeg in mine, because I didn't have it and forgot to buy it.  No one missed it, so use at your digression.  Finally add the powdered sugar, slowly.  I didn't use the extra 2 cups that the website recipe calls for, but again, that's at your digression.

Step 4- Top cupcakes- the best part!  When the cupcakes are cool, use an ice cream scooper to top with frosting.  I've never done this before and was afraid it would be too much, but everyone loved it.  This is where I took a little liberty and decided to add to the cupcakes.  Once they were frosted I drizzled caramel over them.  They looked so good and tasted even better, rarely am I this excited about or happy with something that I bake!  (Here is the finished product, side and top view.)


Recipe 2- Chocolate "Chewies"

Ingredients:
Cake/Crust/Base-
1 package yellow cake mix
1/3 cup margarine, softened
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
3 cups mini marshmallows

Topping-
2/3 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup margarine
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 bag semi sweet chocolate chips
2 cups rice krispie cereal
Step 1- Make cake/crust/base.  Combine 1/3 cup margarine, cinnamon, egg, and cake mix until combined.  It will be very crumbly!


Step 2- Press into a 9 x 13 baking pan and bake on 350 for 12-15 minutes

Step 3- As soon as you take it out the oven, add a layer of mini marshmallow and cook for about 2 minutes.


Step 3.5- Really I'm not sure how to number this because it needs to be started when the cake/crust/base is almost finished but in the middle you'll need to add the marshmallows, you'll figure out the timing as you go.  Now that we have that established, it's time to make the rice krispie mix!  Combine the corn syrup, margarine, vanilla, and chocolate chips in a saucepan and heat/stir until fully blended.  Remove from heat and add in the rice krispies.  If you got the timing down this should be finished when the marshmallows are done.  Carefully spread the mixture over the top of the marsh mellows. 


Step 4- Refrigerate to help set up.  When you're ready to eat, cut into "squares" and enjoy!  They can be served cold or at room temperature.


Hope you enjoy these treats as much as me and my coworkers did, I was even able to make a plate for Jim to bring to his office.  I'm so happy the cool weather is here, it's definitely baking season!  I'll be bringing you a lot more recipes over the next few months, especially since I seem to be using cleaning and baking to get through my baby making trouble blues.

Am I the only one who loves to bake when it's cool out?  I think it's a tradition passed down by my Italian family because there are always pastries and cookies floating around my aunt and Nonnie's house this time of year but never when it's hot out!

No comments:

Post a Comment