Image Map

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Fake it til you make it!

I'm so excited!  For my birthday I was finally given the earrings that I had been hinting that I wanted since I got my new bridal set on our 2nd anniversary.  They match my engagement ring nearly perfectly and they're the nicest earrings I've ever had!  While I was admiring the beautiful sparkles of the stones it occurred to me that this is something I needed to share with you all.

Traditionally, the suggestion for men is that they need to save a couple months salary for a ring and according to an article I found from Glamour, they spend an average of $5000 on the shiny rings they buy for their lovely ladies.  
$5000!!!!

Seriously?  In a time when we're all struggling to pay our debts, scrimping and saving to buy a home or even just rent an apartment why, WHY is it still so important to spend this much money on a piece of jewelry?!?!?!

Is it beautiful?  Yes
Is it something we desire?  Yes
Is it something we deserve?  Probably

But really, why does it have to be a perfect, real diamond when you can have a perfect fake diamond that looks just as beautiful?  It kind of makes me angry when women make these huge demands.  No one will know if your diamond is real or not unless they're an expert and how many experts do we have walking around in the general public?  I'm willing to bet that it's not many!  


My proposal is to do what we did- buy man made or fake rings.  The metal is real, in my case it's silver, but the stones are fake.  I'm in love with my rings and earrings and we spent a tiny fraction of what we would have spent if they were real.  Look at the picture of my rings and earrings!  I truly believe that you can't see a difference, they're all equally shiny and lovely and big, which is what we all want, right?  (just kidding!)

If you're a baller on a budget like us, strongly consider spending less money on the fancy stuff and put it towards important things like bills and living or heck put it towards your honeymoon!  It just seems like there are so many more practical ways to spend your money, it's almost foolish to do it the old fashioned way.


11 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! My mom shops at QVC where they have this brand called Diamonique, and honestly the stuff looks like the real thing! :D I agree that you don't have to have the real thing, because it's a waste..when you could buy cookies or are struggling.

    natalie @findingmyownvoice7.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love cookies over diamonds! :-) My ring and earrings are from JCPenney! We took advantage of sales they were already having and if you use their card it was an additional 15% off! You can't beat it. Plus, it's silly, but I'm not as terrified to lose them as I would be with a real diamond.

      Delete
  2. I agree: I have a real diamond, but my husband chose the first (thus smallest) that appeared on the website! It's perfect for me because of the symbolism, rather than the cost. The picture of your jewelry is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's the meaning that matters more than anything else. Thanks, I'm not gonna lie, I'm in love with them!

      Delete
  3. I have only one real diamond. It's the engagement ring my husband bought me. I'm all over fake like white on rice. I could get new boobs for 5K... Instead made it my misstion to just stuff my bra and travel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it!!!! Hope you're enjoying your travels!

      Delete
  4. I really agree with you, I don't see the point in spending so much! If I ever get the chance to be engaged, I don't want diamonds. I'd be happy with some kind of meaningful stone like topaz or moonstone. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom's engagement ring is a sapphire and it's gorgeous. It's what they could afford and it's her favorite stone- it has meaning (like you said) and that's what's most important!

      Delete
  5. I'm back and forth on this. I agree with you for the most part. At my age and lifestyle, I would feel sick to my stomach having so much money around my finger. My former roomie and her fiance had gotten a cheap, fake ring from Walmart, and no one knew the difference. It was the symbol that mattered in the long-run.

    However, I don't plan on marrying until later in my life, and hope that I can afford a petite, demure diamond as opposed to a honking thing. I've never owned diamond anything, so a small ring would be a gift I'd want over anything huge and extravagant.

    But in the long run, the meaning and the love behind the promise is what matters the most in any case :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that if you can afford it, then you should enjoy splurging on yourself. But if you can't afford it, stop killing yourself to get it!

      Delete
  6. I proposed to my partner with Aviant Jewelers Zirconia Engagement Rings For Women
    a year ago and she was absolutely over the moon, loved that it was different from others she had got so many compliments on it. The quality of Engagement Rings for Women is too good. The rate of this Engagement Rings for Women really surprised her at all. Just go with this Engagement Rings for Women without second thought if you really want some good stuff in good price.

    ReplyDelete