Image Map

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Gluten Free Chocolate cake

Today was my first attempt ever at baking gluten free (which I proceeding to say as galuuuten for the rest of the day with my boss.  Can we all just admit right now how fun it is to say gluten?!)  A coworker only eats gluten free food and it was her birthday so I offered to make the cake for her celebration.

I had tasted this cake before because my amazing Aunt Cookie had made it for us on Palm Sunday and for my 30th birthday party but I had never made it myself so I was worried that just because the recipe was good there may be some user malfunction.  Luckily, this was not the case!  The recipe is super easy and everyone at work loved it!  I strongly recommend trying it and I plan to begin baking more of these slightly healthier creations.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar for dusting
 


First step is to melt the chocolate.  (Sorry I didn't think to take a picture of that!)  Then rinse and drain the garbanzo beans.  Was I the only one in the world who didn't know that chick peas and garbanzo beans are the same thing?  Please tell me I'm not the only one.  Anyway, then you blend the beans/peas  and eggs until they're pretty smooth.  Next add in the sugar and baking powder.  This is a picture of the sugar and powder resting on top of the beans/peas and eggs mixture.



Next pour the melted chocolate in and blend together.  I had never used a blender before, sad I know, so I had to take a picture as they were blending, to show how they slowly mixed together.  It seemed so cool to me!



This is what it looks like once it's fully blended.



 Next pour it into a baking pan, I used square because that's what I own, but my aunt used a round pan, I think either work just fine.  But it has to be a small pan because this is a fairly thin cake already, if you used a regular sheet cake pan you'd have to double the ingredients for it to fit.  Here's my creation after baking, it looked so smooth and smelled so good!




Finely sprinkle some powder sugar on top and you're ready to go!




Here are the full written out directions.  I wish I knew where my aunt got this recipe from so that I could give that site credit, if I ever find it I will definitely update this post.  Until then, bon appetite!

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
  2. Place the chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in the microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds after the first minute, until chocolate is melted and smooth. If you have a powerful microwave, reduce the power to 50 percent.
  3. Combine the beans and eggs in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Add the sugar and the baking powder, and pulse to blend. Pour in the melted chocolate and blend until smooth, scraping down the corners to make sure chocolate is completely mixed. Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan.
  4. Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment